Thursday, February 18, 2010

I am wanting to start putting together a painting supply kit for my partner for Christmas. What do I need?

I know there are so many different types of paint and brushes out there. I want to put together an amazing kit for him to start painting with. What types of oils/colors and what types of brushes will I need to buy? Also, any types of accessories? I am wanting to start putting together a painting supply kit for my partner for Christmas. What do I need?
Suggest getting the primary colors and a large tube of white and apropriate brushes. (Sable for oils or water color, synthetic for acrylic)





Brushes:


Fan brush


Round


Flat


Liner


2'; brush (hardware store is cheaper)


Throw in a pallet knife


Turpentine and Linseed oil


Acryllic extender (if you include acryllics in your package)


Canvasses (assorted sizes - walmart has good deals)





Buy mid-range priced items.





Here's a great online source if you have the time to wait: http://www.cheapjoes.com/ Otherwise craft stores, even wallyworld are a good source.





How nice of you! Very thoughtful idea.I am wanting to start putting together a painting supply kit for my partner for Christmas. What do I need?
I suggest acrylics, now days they are just as good sometimes even better than oils. and Much easier to deal with especially if your(or his) studio will be at home. The fumes from oil supplies is horrible! With acrylics you just need paint(utrecht, liquitex, and golden are great brands) brushes(pick about 4 different sizes/styles the rest you get as projects call for), canvas or paper, and a pallet(I use wax paper). I like my desktop easel a lot, because it has a storage drawer for my paints and brushes. A good place to buy from is pearl paints or utrecht linens, they also have a website you can order from, they have great prices! Acrylic also dries faster, oil paint can take weeks/months to dry, which is a pain in my opinion because then it's sitting around for weeks and you can't move it without possibly messing it up.good luck and that sounds like a great gift!!
Hi,





Try to know what he might prefer : oils, acrylics, soft pastels, etc.


If he's not experienced, I'd avoid watercolour; but if he likes it, then go for it.


Do buy some decent brushes (especially if you go for watercolours).


There's no need to buy expensive ones, but don't go cheap.


As for colours, you can buy a set with 10 or 12 colours that usually comes with linseed oil and turps or a medium (can include linssed oil) and turps. It may also carry a few brushes and the things to put the oil and turp in (which name in english I can't remember).


I would like to say that usually beginners have the tendency to buy smaller brushes than they should.


Now, depending upon your budget, it goes without saying that the gold over blue would include and easel. If you can't afford a full size easel, there are some table ones that are quite accessible.


Anyway, on a side note I will say that the value of your gift is not in its commercial value but in your intention. However these days people seem to forget that.





Have a great weekend,





Jos茅http://www.hushcolours.com
I read the previous answers to your questions. They all have hit the nail on the head. I agree with the items. I just thought I would key you in....IF there is a Hobby Lobby near you. It would be a great place to find everything you need. They have a great selection of easel as well. They are very affordable. My favorite place to shop for art supplies!
  • tvs
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment