Sunday, February 21, 2010

What are some essential art supplies that you feel every REAL artist (drawing/painting stuff) must have?

can you give me the brands


im talking about things like markers, pencils, paper, ect.





thanx :)What are some essential art supplies that you feel every REAL artist (drawing/painting stuff) must have?
I don't bother with brands for pencils - but I like 8B pencils for drawing. I also draw with a fountain pen and coloured ink, and a fine black pen that makes a strong line. Naturally I use charcoal, with white pastel on coloured paper, very striking.





For paint, I tend to stick to Windsor %26amp; Newton for oil colours - they are the most convenient brand to get in Ireland. I get either W %26amp; N for acrylics, or Galleria if it's handier. I tend not to use gouache unless I have very good paper for it. And watercolour also looks best with good paper, so I use Fabriano - I was in Italy last year and bought a lot of good pads. For a while I was making my own canvases, but it does save a lot of time to either have them made or to buy them readymade. Lately I've been enjoying painting on board or on canvas board - a different kind of resistance to the stretched canvas, I've found.





I also use things that are handy - carboard is okay, and you can get interesting textures also. And lately I've been having fun with collage, for which you can use just about anything that glue will hold. It's fun to use with acrylic paints.What are some essential art supplies that you feel every REAL artist (drawing/painting stuff) must have?
Every real artist has a kneaded eraser (gray and putty-like) and a white rubber eraser, I guarantee it-- they're just too useful to go without.





Most of it is personal preference. I happen to like Prismacolor colored pencils, markers etc.





Staedtler is good for drawing pencils





I like Strathmore Windpower Sketchbooks (because they're made in factories that use 100% wind power energy and the paper quality is good)





Painting, I'm not sure (I'm an illustrator, not a painter)





Percy was right. Once you get confident enough, you realize that nobody is judging you on what kind of materials you're using and once you're skilled enough, you can compensate for the shortcomings of medium-grade art supplies (although calling someone else 'low quality' is usually just a marketing ploy of the most expensive supplies)
Wallpaper lining paper is excellent for drawing on and encourages a free approach as there is so much of it that you won't get ';precious'; about your work. Charcoal also encourages a free approach and can be lifted off with white bread and fixed with hairspray. Often pencil is better for more detailed drawing.


Experiment with different media to discover what suits you but limit the number of colours you buy! Start with just 3 or 4 and learn how to mix them as subtly as possible before moving on to acquiring new colours. If you are painting in water colours it is worth buying good brushes but try some large ones as well as fiddly little sable ones- there are some quite reasonably priced Chinese ones available. Don't use your sable brushes with acrylic and make sure you wash acrylic off your brushes before it dries or you will ruin them!
For drawing, look for newsprint paper for practicing. It's cheap crummy paper, any brand is fine.


When you are ready to draw on better paper, I like the sketchpads on spirals so the pages don't fall out... either buy a pencil set or buy a range of pencils individually... The number is the darkness and the letter says how soft the graphite is. For instance, 6B means dark and soft, 1H means light and hard. Good brands of pencils are Staedtler or Derwent I think





As for paint, the most reliable acrylic brand of paint is Winsor %26amp; Newton Designers Gouache.
Well, when I started out, I had the backs of a few dozen old greetings cards, some pieces of old cardboard boxes, a couple of pencil stubs , a cheap set of poster paints and a little tin of watercolours; it's not what you've got that matters, but rather what you do with it ! Heard that song about L. S Lowry-- ' He painted Salford's smoky 'tops, on cardboard boxes from the shops' ? Well, it's true !
we all through that phase then you get confident and it doesnt matter





i have all the expensive wood stuff


but now i us a plastic tool box


and a bit of coreflute for a pallet


dont buy every paint under the sun





a visual diary and charcola pencil a 2 b pencil a putty rubber thats it





you cant buy your self to being able to draw or paint
A real artist uses whatever gives them the best result, mostly it's down to preference as to what supplies you use. It really doesn't matter what materials you use, its the talent of the artist that determines the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment